BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, September 14, 2009

settle in for a good read.......

ok, so are you ready for the updates of our life? well, i started my third semester of school the third week of august. it is going good. we will be studying labor and delivery, pediatrics, and mental health. i have class thurdays from 1pm-5pm and clinicals on friday nights from 6pm-6am. So, my time away from Eden is alot less than the first year. i will keep this clinical rotation for the last year. so i will be a night owl. i have done three night thus far and it seems as though this semester, clinical wise, will be pretty emotionally draining for me. my first night i was in the neonatal intensive care unit and it was hard. we were only responsible for two babies but one was really sick and took up so much of our time. it is hard to work around babies that should still be growing in a mommy's tummy. the saying of the NICU nurses for the babies is: if you touch me i will die, if you don't touch me i will die. there is a fine line to walk with these little ones. i don't know if i will ever be cut out to do that type of nursing. it takes knowledge and compassion that i just don't have. not that someday i won't but now it pushes me so far outside of my comfort zone it feels like i would never be competent enough for such a highly skilled area of nursing. i came home that morning so grateful that Eden was born perfect and healthly. i went into her room and stared at her for a long time just being thankful.
my second rotation was on the mom and baby floor which was much less hectic. our moms were healthy and our babies were healthy. but i kind of felt like me and my nurse were just glorified waitresses. we do a lot of fetching. getting drinks, sheets, snacks, bringing the babies to the moms, taking the babies back to the nursery. overall it was a great experience but it helped to cement that i am a surgical junkie. not that i didn't learn alot on the floor. i just wouldn't love what i did, if i was a mom and baby nurse.
and last friday night i was on the mental health floor. and it was.........interesting. psychiatric nursing is whole other ball game. much less clinical skill and much, much, much more theraputic communication. also, was taken outside my comfort zone but surprisingly enough found it to be rewarding and i enjoyed it. so just goes to show, you never know what you might be good at.
ok, so enough about school, but i think this blog my become my form of therapy to assist me through the rest of school without becoming a patient on the psych ward. seriously though, i need an outlet for stress, thought, emotions, and what better place than a blog, right? anyway.......Eden will be one on the 16th. holy crap! my little baby is going to be a year old. i can't believe how fast the time has zoomed by. it makes me feel a myriad of emotion: happy, sad, hesitant, and eager. we will have a party for her on saturday and it will be fantastic. she is so amazing i still can't believe we were blessed enough to have her entrusted to us. we will learn much more from her than we could ever hope to teach her. if our living/employment/school situation were better i would be thinking "time for another"! but that won't happen for awhile. i'll just try to find time to be a passing student and a good mommy to eden. the rest will find it's own way of working out.

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I think it would be so hard what you are doing now. It would stress me out so bad to see other people in the situations they are in. I only deal with their paperwork, I can only imagine what it would be like to deal with their health. You are such a good person to be in that field and you will do a great job!! So I work the weekend the boys are coming down, and maddie is due around that week, so i might just stay here.. :(
we will have to make a trip down there just to hang out!! love ya!!

Dacia said...

Hang in there. I know that you will be great at whatever part of nursing you do. Sometimes we learn the most when we are out of our comfort zone. Most of those ladies that you were working with have been doing what they do for a really long time. You'll be a fantastic nurse.
Can't believe Eden will be one. Babies grow up too fast. Enjoy every moment!

Luke and Erin said...

Yeah, my Dad said pretty much the same thing when he did his rotations, only he had some less nice things to say about the new moms. But really, what woman that just gave birth wants a guy in there trying to teach'em how to nurse? So at least you are female right? And not getting yelled out to get out. I think one lady even threw something at him. HAHA!
You will be great in whatever feild you choose.

Congrats on a soon-to-be one year old! It is a really fun age and you are gonna love it!

Sharps said...

YEAH!!! I found you!!!! Hope your day went good today!